LaBelle DUI Attorney Serving Hendry County, Florida
About Driving Under the Influence (DUI)
DUI, or driving under the influence, is an offense involving the operation of a vehicle while one’s abilities are impaired by alcohol, drugs, or both, including having a blood alcohol concentration (BAC) of .08% or more. It is not actually illegal to drink and drive. It is illegal to drive with a BAC of .08% or higher or while your abilities are impaired. If you are pulled over and arrested for DUI, the arresting officer and prosecutor will attempt to prove one or both of these factors. It will be your Hendry County DUI lawyer’s job to challenge these at every turn to protect your license and to save you from jail time, fines, and other penalties.
Call The Kahle Law Firm, P.A. at (863) 313-1019 for a free DUI case evaluation and see how an attorney can help you.
Steps to Take After a DUI Stop in Southwest Florida
What should you do if you are pulled over for suspected drunk driving? While every situation is different and may require a slightly varied approach, there are several important things to remember if you are stopped:
- Remember to be polite and respectful.
- Try to speak clearly, but be brief. Over-explaining may only work against you.
- Be careful of what you say, as some statements could be misconstrued as admissions of guilt.
- Cooperate, but do not give the officer any reason to arrest you or suspect that you are driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Consider carefully whether you want to submit to field sobriety tests. You are not required by law to submit to these, but refusal will likely result in your arrest.
- Do not submit to a roadside breathalyzer test. You are only required by law to submit to a breath, blood, or urine test after a DUI arrest.
- Remember that the entire police stop is being recorded. The things you say and do may be used against you or to support your case at a later date. Try to make sure the video works in your favor.
- If you are arrested, exercise your right to remain silent and your right to an attorney.
Arrested? Call Hendry County DUI Attorney Fred R. Kahle at (863) 313-1019 as soon as possible.